Blog

Spring Negroni

Today’s post has been retrofitted to observe MxMo LVII: Flores de Mayo.  It’s being hosted this month by Dave at The Barman Cometh.

I’ve been “working with” a ton of Aperol lately – I just dig the stuff.  It’s the perfect spring / summer liqueur; slightly sweet, citrusy and plenty bitter.  And, I love me a Negroni – it’s one of my faves – so it was an obvious call for me to combine them and come up with a “Spring Negroni.”  I went gin, Lillet blanc and Aperol (1:1:1).  Great move… except it sorta sucked.  I mean, it was fine, but not a revolution, and certainly not worthy of the Negroni namesake.  A few weeks later, on a whim I threw dried lavender flowers into some gin, and whammy, it came together like… well… it just came together, okay?

Spring Negroni
.75 oz. Lavender infused gin
.75 oz. Lillet Blanc
.75 oz. Aperol
Spring Bitters

Stir & strain.  I’m not garnishing this – I don’t think it needs it.  The spring bitters are a really nice addition that actually came on the third pass.  They amp up the bitterness and really compliment the citrusy component of the Aperol.

Posted on May 16, 2011 at 9:00 am
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Share:
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

7 Responses to Spring Negroni

Frederic says:

You ought to submit this to Mixology Monday — the theme this month is floral (deadline is tonight).

May 16, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Reply

Ferosferio says:

I just want to know what goes into spring bitters!

May 16, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Reply

admin says:

Frederic: you win. I revised the photo, and submitted. A few extra visitors never hurt.

Feros: equal parts lemon, orange, grapefruit (all house made) and peychaud’s, infused with mint for 24 hours.

May 16, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Reply

Spring bitters and lavender infused gin — I’m gonna have to get to work! I agree with you about Aperol, bought my first bottle recently and haven’t looked back. Oh – great photo.

May 17, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Reply

Ferosferio says:

Gonna try this tonight with a dash of orange bitters subbed for the gin… Will report back

May 17, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Reply

Ferosferio says:

That is, subbe for petals…. Will dash the butters in some bluecoat…

May 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Reply

Pingback: MxMo LVII: The Bouquet (Floral Round-Up) « The Barman Cometh

Your email address will not be published.

Copyright

September 2009
    August 2009
    May 2009
    April 2009
    March 2009

Popular Tags
    Absinthe Amaro apple brandy bar books Bars Bartender's Guide by Trader Vic Bitters Books Boozing Basics Bourbon Brandy chartreuse Cognac cynar Famous New Orleans Drinks Flips Gin Green Chartreuse History Infusions Laphroaig lime Liqueur Mezcal Mint MxMo News Pousse-Café Punch Recipes Reviews Rum Rye Scotch Shaken Shrub Sweet Vermouth Syrups Techniques Tequila The Classics Uncategorized Unicorns vs. Robots Vodka Whiskey

info@sugarhousedetroit.com